|Holding regular monthly meeting of members, at which every individual did not only become acquainted with the scientific and professional work of other members of the Society and was informed of current problems in chemistry in this country and in the world, but had the possibility to express his own opinion, to give suggestions, to take part in making conclusions and decisions at the time when Serbia could not have had more than 30 chemists, was the best way of action. Later on when the number of members increased and when active participation in the Society's activity was no longer possible for all members in this way, these meetings were deprived of their original significance. In the period between the two world wars, when the number of members was almost ten times larger, compared to the initial number, the only purpose of these meetings seemed to be informing on one's own work and on problems of general significance. Taking into consideration the number of members, the topics were of a rather modest scope. When the number of 139 members according to the list from 1947 increased to 1501, according to the facts in 1971, the situation in that respect, of course, could not have changed for the better. Moreover, due to the ever increasing differentiation and specialization in scientific work and the decreasing interest among some members in the activity of others, except if it was not about research from the same narrow field, interest in such meetings was bound to decrease. And yet, plenary lectures organized by the Society in the first postwar years, proved to have good attendance. Beginning with 1945 to this day the Society has organized more than 500 plenary lectures. The initial interest, however, and the attendance decreased gradually, especially after the annual meetings started and work in divisions had been introduced. In order to increase the interest of the audience for plenary lectures, the Society started inviting, as plenary lecturers, guests from this country and from abroad, all of them well-known scientists. As the differentiation in scientific research in chemistry had gone even further, especially when analyzed in world standards, the plenary lectures were met with less and less response by a wider circle of chemists, and even more so since the choice of lecturers had been adapted to the interests of certain research groups, and the audience at plenary lectures was limited to a relatively narrow audience.The idea that intensifying of the work of the Society in the professional-scientific field would require work in smaller groups, which would deal with problems from narrow and specific branches of chemistry and chemical technology, was not a new one; it was dealt with on occasion of renewing the work of the Society after 1945.At the second Annual Assembly held on May 13th, 1947, changes and additions to the Society rules were suggested. To Article 5 of the Rules, which lists the activities of the Society by which the Society achieves its goals, should be added a paragraph indicating the establishment of divisions of the Society "in order to have work on certain chemical problems develop more intensively." This supplement of the Society Rules was ratified in 1948.Thus, within the Society separate groups were formed, i.e., divisions which gathered members of the Society engaged in teaching, in scientific research work, or in industrial practice, who were mutually connected by dealing with problems from their specific branch of chemistry, chemical technology or metallurgy. At their meetings they issued reports and developed free discussions on new achievements and current problems from their specific technical and scientific fields and they also presented theirs scientific research results and discussed problems in their industrial practice.All forms of work were being used and developed: lectures, discussions, films and visits to factories. Thus, this form of Society activity was gradually taken over by the divisions. Without them the activity of the Society could not be imagined today. Many of them started their activities under the modest title of "working groups" and they grew into divisions which now work within the Society practically as fully independent organizational units.
This review shows that the main activity of the divisions has consisted of organizing division meetings with lectures and scientific and professional symposia, the majority of which were of national and international significance, and also at a high scientific level.