AFFILIATES OF THE SOCIETY
Till the beginning of 1933 the activities of the Society were limited to Belgrade. At that time many chemists were working in other towns of Serbia, especially in those where the chemical industry was located. At the 7th regular meeting of the Presidency of the Administrative Committee of the Society held on January 31, 1933, 14 new members were accepted, among whom chemists and technologists from Obilicevo (Obilićevo), near Krusevac, who had expressed their wish to found an affiliate of the Society in the area in which they lived and worked. Their rules were accepted at the 2nd conference of the Administrative Committee on August 7th, 1933 and so the first affiliate of the Serbian Chemical Society began to work. Its first President was Dr. Radomir Nikolic. The Affiliate in Obilicevo had 29 members the following year and was active till 1941. After the war it was reactivated in 1970 when the Affiliate in Krusevac (Kruševac) was founded.
The second affiliate was founded in 1935 in Skopje and Dr. Kosta Stavric was appointed its first President. In the first year it had only 20 members, and when the war broke out the number had risen to 50. The Affiliate in Skopje stopped working in 1941, and after the war it was transformed into the Macedonian Chemical Society.
After the Second World War and the rapid development of the chemical industry and the teaching of chemistry, it was clear that the Serbian Chemical Society in order to attain its goals could not limit its activities only to Belgrade, but that the work of the Society should spread to the whole of Serbia. At the Annual Assembly of the Society on June 17th, 1949, a proposal was made and implemented by the end of the same year, that the rules of the Society should have a supplement of new articles concerning the establishment of affiliates, their organization and goals.
In the same year, 1949, the Serbian Chemical Society founded its first post-war Affiliate in Novi Sad, which had 18 members. After 23 years, in 1972, the Affiliate in Novi Sad had more than 200 members and was undoubtedly the biggest and the most active affiliate of the Society. The activity of the Affiliate manifested itself in various forms: organizing plenary and section lectures, scientific and professional meetings, seminars for training teachers, consultative seminars, visiting companies and scientific excursions. .
On January 21-23, 1970, in the organization of the Affiliate in Novi Sad, the first annual meeting of the Serbian Chemical Society was organized outside of Belgrade, i.e., in Novi Sad. That was the 15th Annual Meeting of the Chemists of Serbia. Later on the 18th, 33rd and 37th Annual Meetings of the Serbian Chemical Society (1974, 1991, and 1995, respectively) were held in the Novi Sad Affiliate, that is, in the Serbian Chemical Society - Chemical Society of Vojvodina. In mid-December, 1971 the Affiliate organized the First Meeting of the Chemists and Technologists of Vojvodina, at which two plenary lectures were delivered and 71 scientific papers communicated. Six more such meetings were organized: the 2nd Meeting in Novl Sad 1980, the 3rd Meeting in Novi Sad 1982, the 4th Meeting in Zrenjanin 1984, the 5th Meeting in Kikinda 1986, the 6th meeting in Novi Sad 1988 and the 7th Meeting in Novi Sad 1991. In co-operation with the corresponding sections or independently, the Affiliate organized eight large symposia and congresses.
In 1972 the Affiliate in Novi Sad began to organize meetings of students of chemistry and chemical technology. Thus, on December 16th, 1972, the First Yugoslav Meeting. of Students of Pure and Applied Chemistry took place in Novi Sad. This excellent activity continues and the Affiliate has organized 10 meetings of this type so far. As a rule, students from neighboring and some East European countries have participated. Separate sections were founded within the Affiliate.
The Section for Corn and Flour Technology was founded in Novi Sad, in 1960, and soon after the
Section for Analytical Chemistry,
the Section for Biochemistry,
the Section for Organic Chemistry, the Teaching Section,
the Section for Environmental Protection,
the Section for Chemical Engineering,
the Section for Chromatography,
the Section for Macromolecules and
the Section for Corn and Flour Chemistry.
Under the pressure of constitutional changes occurring in the country in 1974, affiliates of the Serbian Chemical Society in Vojvodina (in Novi Sad and Zrenjanin) united on December 23rd, 1977, into the Chemical Society of Vojvodina, with its seat in Novi Sad. In this way the Affiliate in Novi Sad grew into a separate chemical society. The connection with the Serbian Chemical Society remains reflecting itself only in the fact that according to the Statute, all members of the Chemical Society of Vojvodina are members of the Serbian Chemical Society at the same time. Further positive activity and close contacts of the two societies have shown that these changes had been just formal.
In 1985 the Chemical Society of Vojvodina was reorganized so that it now consists of the Chemical Society Novi Sad, founded on December 27, 1985, the Chemical Society Zrenjanin, founded on December 13, 1985 and the Chemical Society Kikinda, founded onApril 17, 1985. After 1991, the Serbian Chemical Society and the Society of Vojvodina came closer together formally. This was reflected in the fact that the Assembly of the Chemical Society of Vojvodina on May 10, 1994 decided that its name would be: The Serbian Chemical Society - Chemical Society of Vojvodina and that it would consist of two affiliates, in Zrenjanin and in Kikinda. According to the new Statute of 1996 this name became official.
In 1951 an affiliate was founded in Nis (Niš). By its activities it very soon became one of the most active ones. It organized meetings of chemists from the Nis region and usually accompanied by lectures delivered very often by guests from Belgrade, Novi Sad and from abroad. This Affiliate, beside other activities, together with the Spectrochemical Section of the Society, organized the 7th Yugoslav Conference: General and Applied Spectroscopy on September 26-29, 1978, in Niš. In recent years, however, the activity of the Affiliate has been considerably reduced and there is a great necessity for its work to be organized better and intensified, because it is located in an important university center in Serbia.
The Affiliate in Zrenjanin was founded in 1952. It developed quickly, simultaneously with the fast development of the food and chemical industry, followed by the development of secondary and university education in that area. After the transformation of the Affiliate of the Society in Novi Sad into the Chemical Society of Vojvodina, the Section in Zrenjanin became formally an Affiliate of that Society in 1977. The new organizational change took place in 1985 when the Affiliate developed into the Chemical Society Zrenjanin, which at the same time is a member of the Chemical Society of Vojvodina, Novi Sad. According to an article of the Statute, however, all members of the Chemical Society Zrenjanin are at the same time members of the Serbian Chemical Society and they have their representatives in its Administrative Committee. The Affiliate founded its own sections among which the Teaching Section has great success. About 200 scientific and technical lectures have been presented in the Chemical Society of Zrenjanin so far, and the following meetings have been organized:
The 4th Meeting of the Chemists of Vojvodina, on September 27-28, 1984,
A meeting of Rubber and Plastics Producers on March 28-29, 1985.
Since May 1994 this Affiliate has been called the Affiliate in Zrenjanin of the Serbian Chemical Society - Chemical Society of Vojvodina.
The Affiliate in Kragujevac was founded in 1952. Its activity since the very beginning has been very poor. This is something to worry about because it is located in a town which is one of the university centers of Serbia.
In 1954 an affiliate was founded in Subotica. At the very beginning it showed exceptional activity, but in 1972 it almost stopped working. This Affiliate, also officially joined the Chemical Society of Vojvodina in 1974, but because of its inactivity, it has stopped being mentioned.
The Affiliate in Leskovac was founded in 1955 and from the very beginning it has been very active. Over 100 meetings with 60 lectures have been held. The Affiliate organized two technical meetings in 1979 in Leskovac and in Predejane. Together with the Pharmaceutic-Chemical Industry "Zdravlje"-Leskovac, the Affiliate organized the meeting: Medical Aromatic Herbs in Yugoslavia on Zlatlbor on September 8-10, 1993.
The Affiliate in Bor was founded in 1964. Since that time it has organized about 200 meetings with lectures delivered by experts from this country and from abroad, in metallurgy, chemistry, analytical chemistry, electrochemistry, organic chemistry, environmental protection and new materials. The Affiliate organized a series of lectures for secondary school pupils and preparations for competitions from the fields of chemistry and ecology. Members of the Affiliate are active participants in the traditional meeting October Days organized every year by the Faculty of Mining and Technology in Bor.
The Affiliate in Pristina (Priština) was founded in 1964. It was active for only a few years after being founded.
The Affiliate in Uzice (Užice) was founded in 1968. On April 16th, 1950 a District Unit of the Serbian Chemical Society was founded in Uzice, but it practically never worked. The basic aspects of the work were meetings with lectures. A hundred and twelve meetings were organized and 224 lectures were delivered. The lecturers were mainly professors at Belgrade and Kragujevac Universities, as well as educational counselors and secondary school teachers. The meetings were often like technical seminars and served to improve the level of chemistry teaching in the district of Uzice.
The Affiliate in Vranje was founded in 1969. It was very active only in the first years.
The Affiliate in Krugevac was founded in 1970. The Affiliate organized a number of meetings with lectures delivered by professors from universities in Serbia.
The Affiliate in Kraljevo was founded in 1975. Today it has about 90 members, mainly teachers and professors of chemistry. So far it has organized about 40 meetings with 120 lectures.
The Affiliate in Cacak (Čačak) was founded in 1982. It has carried out its activities mainly by organizing meetings with lectures. The Affiliate has organized ten professional meetings at which the following subjects were dealt with: water supply for the town, corrosion, environmental protection.
The Affiliate in Dimitrovgrad was founded in 1982. It has organized meetings with lectures delivered by outstanding professors from universities in Serbia.
The Affiliate in Belgrade was founded in 1983. The position of Belgrade in the Society has been always particular. With time mostly through affiliates, the activity of the Society has been transferred to other towns. So Belgrade, although the greatest part of the activity has been carried out and will confirm to be carried out in it, is no longer an exceptional town among other towns in which there are affiliates of the Society. Former plenary meetings of the Society are now held in the Belgrade Affiliate, and instead of the President of the Society as it used to be, the meetings are often run by the President of 'the Affiliate. The Affiliate in Belgrade represents the core of the Serbian Chemical Society because it is a direct or indirect advocate or participant in most of the Society's activity.
The Affiliate in Kikinda was founded in 1987 under the name Chemical Society Kikinda and in 1994 it was reorganized into the Affiliate Kikinda of the Serbian Chemical Society - Chemical Society of Vojvodina (SHD-HDV). The Affiliate was the host and organizer of the 5th Meeting of the Chemists of Vojvodina.
In the year of the Society Centennial, 1997, three new affiliates were founded in Sabac (Šabac), Sremska Mitrovica and Gornji Milanovac.
President: Prof. dr Ivana Marković
Secretary: Prof. dr Slađana Alagić
President: Dr Tamara Premović
President: Svetlana Radojković
President: Milena Brković
Secretary: Svetlana Kerečki
President: Dejan Radmanovac
Kosovo i Metohija
President: Prof. dr Ružica Micić
Secretary: dr Bojana Laban
President: Prof. dr Dragan Grujić
President: Zoran Srećković
President: Slađana Ranković
President: Marija Peić-Tukuljac
President: Vasilije Planić
* About affiliates of Serbian Chemmical Societs (SHD) - Chemical Society of Vojvodina (HDV) in more detail on SHD-HDV website